DIY wallpaper animal mural
24 Sep 2019
Kids will love this playful idea for bringing a bit of wild life to their bedroom walls with a few fun designs from the Resene Wallpaper Collection.
You will need:
- Cut lengths or offcuts of favourite designs from the Resene Wallpaper Collection; Fleur used
- Resene Wallpaper Collection HAN 100327221 – elephant
- Resene Wallpaper Collection 69736629 – rhino
- Resene Wallpaper Collection 69802112 – cheetah
- Resene Wallpaper Collection 434057 – monkey
- Resene Wallpaper Collection GP5917 - parrot
- Animal silhouette templates
- Wallpaper glue or BluTac® (depending if you want them to be a permanent or temporary feature)
Step 1 Use the animal silhouettes on the HabitatbyResene website or draw your own. Fleur measured the width of the wallpaper that she used for the elephant and then printed her elephant pattern to be the same height. Depending on the shape you choose, you may want to rotate the wallpaper so that you can make it as big as possible – especially if your animal has a long body shape. Size the remaining animals so that each is smaller than the last. Print the images out and use a pair of scissors to cut them out.
Step 2 Using a pencil, trace the cut-out onto the back of the length of wallpaper.
Step 3 Use scissors to cut it out.
Step 4 Repeat for all the animals then arrange them on your wall to suit.
Top tip: If you don’t want to attach your animals to your walls permanently, you can use BluTac® to hang them temporarily.
A mural created with animals cut from five fun designs from the Resene Wallpaper Collection – HAN 100327221 (elephant), 69736629 (rhino), 69802112 (cheetah), 434057 (monkey) and GP5917 (parrot) – bring this bedroom to life. Behind them, the wall is painted in Resene Eighth Canterbury Clay, the headboard is in Resene Biscay and the skirting board is in Resene Half Rice Cake.
project and images Fleur Thorpe