09 Oct 2013
DIY can be more dangerous than it looks! It’s New Zealand Safety Week next week, so here are some tips to reduce the risk of accident around your place.
· Keep your paths and steps clear of leaves and moss. Clean moss and mould with Resene Moss & Mould Killer, decks with Resene Timber and Deck Wash and paths with Resene Deep Clean or Resene Paint Prep and Housewash.
· Make sure outdoor areas are well lit and mark the edges of steps and drops with white paint for better visibility; try Resene Non-Skid Deck and Path for this for extra protection.
· For new decks, grooved timber gives better grip. For existing decks, improve slip resistance by adding Resene SRG Grit to your deck paint.
· Keep chemicals, solvents, paints and sprays out of sight and reach of children – ideally lock them away in a cupboard. Better yet, return all unwanted paint and paint packaging to the Resene PaintWise service – it will get them out of your house and the packaging and materials can be recycled, donated to community groups or reused.
· Keep three points of contact when you’re on a ladder – e.g. two feet and a hand. Don’t reach too far – keep your belt buckle within the sides of the ladder.
· Check out the Resene Putting your Safety First brochure for other tips to keep yourself safe when painting. Find it at www.resene.co.nz/pdf/safety_first.pdf or get your free copy from your Resene ColorShop or reseller.
For other safety tips and ideas, check out www.homesafety.co.nz.