Create your own Christmas bunting
30 Nov 2017
With Christmas fast approaching, it's time to get decorating! Get into the festive mood with this DIY Christmas bunting... it will be a wonderful welcome message for when Santa arrives.
You will need
- Resene testpot in Resene Half Rice Cake
- Resene Timber and Furniture Gel in Resene Jarrah Tree
- 4mm thick plywood
- Saw, drill and sandpaper
- Cloth or rag
- “Merry Christmas” printed onto paper
- Small paintbrush
1. Print out “Merry Christmas” in a font and size that you like. Measure the biggest letter (“M”) and work out how big you want to make your bits of plywood.
2. Cut the thin plywood into 14 equally sized rectangles (these are 6cm by 7cm). Sand the edges smooth.
3. Measure where you want the holes for the string to go and drill these.
4. Using rubber or silicon gloves and a soft cloth, rub the Resene Timber and Furniture Gel in Resene Jarrah Tree onto the front, back and sides of each of the ply rectangles.
5. Roughly cut out each of the “Merry Christmas” letters and sellotape one to each of the wood rectangles.
6. Using a pen, trace around each of the letters, remembering to press firmly so that you leave an indentation in the wood.
7. Remove the sellotape and paper letters, and with a small, fine craft paintbrush, paint each of the letters with Resene Half Rice Cake, following the indentation as a guide. Leave the paint to dry.
8. String the wooden letters together. Fleur used wooden beads to space out the letters further.
Project and photographs by Fleur Thorpe.